Sunday, February 22, 2009

Fear...

When I was a small child somewhere around the age of 7 or 8 I believe I started to gain this fear of water. I almost drown 2 times when I was 7 and ever since I haven't had any liking to water. The first time I almost drown was swimming in a lake ( I don't remember what Lake it was). At that time I wasn't really afraid of water for a long period of time until it happened again when I was swimming in Disney World and I almost died. Today I’m not really afraid of water I can swim just fine and if I have to ill go in but I doubt I will ever enjoy it ever again. I suppose in a way back when I was afraid of the water I just didn't want to die, which I suppose is what all fear is...but that’s beside the point anyways, It relates to the story because the boys on the island are also afraid of dying there because no one will rescue them.

4 comments:

  1. That must have been frightning to say the least... and to do it twice must really suck..

    ReplyDelete
  2. Heh, I know the feeling. It only happened to me once though and didn't impact me too much because of that, but I can see how almost drowning multiple times could make you not so eager to go swimming.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had a similar experience in a neighbor's pool. I got stuck under a float (the kind you can lie down on), and I couldn't catch my breath when I came up. I'm not afraid of water, but I'll never forget that. Thanks for sharing this Andy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. it wasn't to long ago, but i thought i was going to drown too. i was seeing if i could touch the bottom of a lake and i reached the bottom when i got tangled in weeds, to make the matter worse my legged cramped cuz i just finished the first day of football. when i finally reached the top my head was throbbing from holding my breath so long. it didn't bother me though so i did it again.

    ReplyDelete